News

Trump Signs Order: 50% Tariff

Local time on June 3, the White House issued a statement saying that President Trump announced increasing the tariff on imported steel, aluminum, and their derivatives from 25% to 50%, effective at 12:01 am EDT on June 4, 2025.

The statement said the tariff on steel and aluminum imports from the UK will remain at 25%. From July 9, 2025, the US may adjust the applicable tariff rate and set import quotas for steel and aluminum in accordance with the terms of the Environmental Policy Statement. If the UK is determined to have not complied with the Environmental Policy Statement, the applicable tariff rate may be increased to 50%.

Trump stated that this is out of national security needs. The executive order published by the White House on social platform X reads: “The previously implemented tariffs have not enabled domestic industries to reach and maintain the necessary capacity utilization, which is crucial for the sustained health of industries and expected defense needs. Increasing the previously implemented tariff levels will provide greater support to these industries, reducing or eliminating the threat to US national security posed by imported steel and aluminum products and their derivatives.”

It is further reported that the US relies on imports for nearly half of its aluminum products. In terms of steel, the US is also a net importer. Analysts say US steel prices are already higher than in other regions, and the tariff policy will only make prices higher.

Experts warn that steel tariffs may lead to price increases for goods such as automobiles, housing, and large household appliances. Additionally, since steel and aluminum are widely used in canned food packaging, consumers may also see price increases for groceries.

Local time on May 30, President Trump said in Pennsylvania that he would increase the tariff on imported steel from 25% to 50%. Afterwards,Trump posted on a social media platform that the decision would take effect from June 4.

Currently, EU countermeasures are ready to be launched. An EU spokesperson said that if a solution with the US cannot be reached, existing and potential additional countermeasures will automatically take effect on July 14, and if necessary, they will be implemented ahead of schedule.