According to CCTV News, local time on May 6, the port, airport, and urban area of Sudan’s eastern port city of Port Sudan were again attacked by airstrikes from Sudan’s Rapid Support Forces. In the early morning of the 6th, a huge explosion occurred at the coastal pier of Port Sudan, and multiple oil storage tanks caught fire. The area near Port Sudan Airport was also bombed, with thick smoke rising. Since May 4, Port Sudan has been attacked continuously. As of now, the Rapid Support Forces have not responded to the above attacks. According to Reuters, multiple explosions and fires occurred in Port Sudan on May 6. Witnesses reported black smoke rising near the main seaport. A huge explosion occurred in a warehouse at an oil export port south of Port Sudan. Video clips on social media showed flames and thick smoke rising over Port Sudan.
In addition, the night of local time on May 5, the Port of Hodeidah and the Bajel Cement Factory in western Yemen were attacked by Israeli airstrikes, causing extensive damage, and facilities in both places were forced to shut down. The airstrikes destroyed cranes, goods, warehouse buildings, fuel tanks, and a power plant at the Port of Hodeidah. It is reported that the night of the 5th, Israel launched multiple rounds of airstrikes on the Port of Hodeidah in western Yemen. The attacked area of the port has become a ruin, with docks, hoisting equipment, and some operating facilities completely destroyed, and port operations have been completely suspended.
The Port of Hodeidah is located in Hodeidah City controlled by the Houthi armed forces and is the main import port for the densely populated northern region of Yemen, carrying the import of food and other supplies. The forced closure of the port will bring new shocks to Yemen, which is already deep in a humanitarian crisis. Previously, the US military launched airstrikes on the ports of Salif and Ras Isa near Hodeidah last month, also causing serious damage.
Local time on May 6, US President Trump said that the Houthi armed forces have announced that they will no longer attack and bomb ships, and the US will respect their commitment and believe what they say. Trump said he considered this very positive news, and the US would immediately stop bombing the Houthi armed forces. Currently, the Houthi armed forces have not responded to this. At present, every move in the situation in the Red Sea region of the Middle East is still affecting changes in the shipping market. Whether the situation in the Red Sea will cool down in the future remains confusing, and shipping still faces high risks and uncertainties…